9/27/2009

1st Met Monday-Exterior Redo



It's another 1st for me!  Thank you Susan for hosting yet another fun "party", your dedication is remarkable!
  Although the beginning of this metamorphosis started just over 5 years ago, it's just now STARTING to look like what  I have in my minds eye.  This house that you're about to see was ALMOST my dream home.  The only thing that kept it from being a total dream come true was that I soooo need  desire to own a BRAND NEW house.  THAT (a new, custom built) home has been my hearts desire for as long as I can remember...as far back as being 7 years old and playing in what use to be a chicken coop at my Grandparents farm in Montana!  I use to sit in that lil coop for HOURS, dreaming of how I would decorate and remodel it  if only Grandpa would let me.  That's a whole other story for another time.
So on with the here and now, beginning with a photo of the day that we got the key to our "new to us" house.  You would never know it by the smile on my face but THE KEY DIDN'T WORK!!!  Yet another story for later. lol
We'll pretend it worked and that the smile was well founded.




This is what you saw standing at the road. 



This is standing at the other end of the driveway






This house sat empty for several months before we bought it and not loved at all.  A neighbor told us that when the people that built it lived here, the lawn MIGHT have been mowed once or twice a year! I guess when alls you've got is sparse grass,field grass and TONS of dandelions, why bother?!

The next few photos are of the beginning transformation stages.






We found the greatest contractor for this project.  He was such a perfectionist and sooooo slow but in the end, we were very glad of that. He and his college aged son tore off all the siding and removed all the windows...all by them selves.  They also replaced all the windows and resided the whole house...BY THEM SELVES!  They amazed me.  A different company did the roof...in TWO days!  I really liked the existing roof but the shingle style was no longer available.  There were more patches on this roof than you can believe.

The following photos are of  right after the project was complete.  Phase one of the project, that is!







After this "transformation", it was a couple of years "rest" time while attempting to obtain permits for an addition.  What a process that was.  Oregon is famous for our conservationists which is probably why Oregon is so beautiful.  BUT, what a pain in the bum when it comes to obtaining permits!  We have a creek on our acre of land which is why the county gave us soooo much grief to add on.  We finally jumped through all their hoops and construction began!  We had a garage with bonus room, mother-in-law suite, family room and larger laundry room added on.  It was an experience that I don't want to experience again but the end results are well worth it. For this met Monday, I'll stick with the exterior photos.

 






Oh, and, we had brick and fishscaling added to the turret. Fishscale also on the eves on both ends of the house.

The house had just a few, very sickly shrubs when we moved in so I've been busy planting some favorites.  The above photo shows my roses.  My birthday month flower is the rose so roses were a must!  One of my favorites is the Jackson n Perkins "Love and Peace...below, a close up of it.


To recap this transformation, here are a few before and afters close together.

Before:


After:



Before:

After:



So, here ends my 1st post for metamorphosis Monday.  I hope you enjoyed it and would be thrilled to hear if you did!  I may continue on this "thread" and do each room of the house since we changed most everything inside, too!
Be sure to link over to Susan's Between Naps on the Porch for more metamorphosis's...you won't be disappointed.








32 comments:

  1. I can see how much your house is loved! What a transformation. I would be proud to live in such a beautiful home. And I know you are. Great place!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your home is just beautiful. Thanks for sharing it with all of us. Laura@the mansion

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I have porch envy (is there such a thing?) What a terrific home! It's amazing what some TLC will do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your home is GORGEOUS!! Great job on the metamorphosis!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky house. It found owners that loved it. Great job!

    D

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a great job. I've always wanted a home with a big porch. The transformation is just awesome. Give yourself a great big pat on the back! Can't wait to see the inside pics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely home! The roses are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your home, and I too have porch envy! It is obviously well loved and cared for!! I can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful home you have!! Thank you for sharing!

    blessings
    mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a transformation! It's beautiful...Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. such a beautiful home!

    I have a linky party going on over at my place, check it out! http://theshadesofpink.blogspot.com/2009/09/room-month-shade-tutorial.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely house you have...love the turret!
    Hugs,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a LOVELY home!!! GREAT remodel!!! Doesn't look like a remodel at all... I love when that happens!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely transformation! The fish scaling is so pretty, and your porch is too die for.

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW! This looks fantastic! LOVE the new roses! :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my, what a gorgeous home. I love the beautiful wrap around porch. Your house is truly gorgeous. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a nice addition! It would be great to see the transformations of the interior too! Happy MM!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am absolutely in love with your home. The love you have for it shows. Beautiful, just beautiful.

    Cece

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello ~
    Thanks for visiting my blog :o) I do love Longaberger...could you tell - I have way too many - if you can believe that...
    I love your "new" home - I love that porch - you are so lucky - so great to decorate....wow. Your gardens are beautiful too !
    Hugs ~ Kammy
    Small Home in The Country

    ReplyDelete
  20. That was some transformation and I love the stonework and landscaping you added.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You did such a wonderful job on the re-do. It is a lovely home, and I can tell that you adore it. Your rose is just scrumptious! thanks for joining me as a follower, stay tuned for details on the give-away!
    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is beautiful. I have a It So Very Cottagey-home tour every Friday. If you'd be interested I can add you to the list in about 4 weeks.

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, what an amazing difference, it looks fabulous. I love the fishscaling !!
    Renovating is an absolute nightmare isnt it !!
    Cant wait till its all over at my place. All thats left to do after the bathroom/laundry is the post and rail fencing around my arena and a new stable for my spoilt horses.
    Thanks so much for dropping by, cant wait to see your next piccies !!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It is so amazing what you all did. You had transformed a house into a home. It is gorgeous and you did a really good job. It looks more loved now...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  25. You have done a wonderful job on the house transformation. We have been through some things like that and can surely relate to all the work it takes..It just turned out so beautiful, you should be so proud....I enjoyed my visit....Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a wonderful transformation on your house. It makes me so sad to see a house that no one loves. I am so glad you found it and gave it some love.
    I wanted to stop by and say hi and thanks for becoming a follower of mine. I also wanted to let you know that I am having a fall giveaway. Come by and take a look!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oops I forgot that I am over at Rainy Day Farm! Hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That was great, I loved it!
    Our house is similar, without the turret though.
    You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Still looking for Hank--but I love your home--Love that big porch (I would be very envious but since the only time I can safely sit outside here is winter time --mosquitoes ya know---then may be I can reign in the envy).

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your home is Gorgeous! you'll have fun decorating for many years to come I can tell.

    Happy Decorating,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks for visiting my blog. I love the transformation in your house, and especially the brick work around the turret. Wow, what a differnce (and all the landscaping too, of course.)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails